Friday, March 6, 2009

Garden Progress




Well, here it is March 6th and I've harvested my first crops of broccoli and brussel sprouts. Not too successful - plenty of brussel sprouts - but they weren't sprouts, they were more like brussel leaf flowers (I think they use the term blasted when the brussel sprouts just stay open and don't form tight sprouts). Somewhere on a garden site it said loose soil is the cause of blasted brussel sprouts. So I put two in the ground with much firmer soil, but it didn't help - they continued to grow the same way. Nevertheless, brussel sprout green are delicious! Tasted (and cooked)somewhat on the order of collard greens.
Now the broccoli was good and plentiful but the weather turned too warm for them to continue growing and the broccoli buds were starting to open into flowers. So now I have room for more tomato and pepper plants. If the tomato plants I started from seeds don't start growing a little faster I may have to buy store plants. Sometimes in June it can start hitting 100F around here and I really want some tomatoes before that happens!
My crops of lettuce, beets, radishes, and kohlrabi are coming along just fine! I've managed to put together a few small salads with our home-grown lettuce and radishes.
Maybe in another week or two the beets will be ready. There is nothing like beet greens - nothing!

1 comment:

snowbird said...

You're right! There is NOTHING like beet greens! Been enjoying them all year too.

Sedona

Sedona